Like pastitsio it is a layered pasta casserole dish. There are variations throughout Greece using different meats, herbs, spices and cooking methods. The Cypriot version uses cinnamon as it’s main spice. Recipes vary, but usually the meat sauce in the middle is made of pork or beef, tomatoes are used in some regions. This recipe uses grated halloumi cheese, though cheese is only sometimes added to the white sauce. Other cheeses can used such as kefalotiri.
Delicious eaten cold or hot, it is often served it as an accompaniment to family meals including roast dinners and Easter dinner, or simply served with salad.
To download your recipe card, follow the instructions below:
– Click on the recipe card image below – this will take you to a new page with the recipe card on it.
– From here right click on your mouse and click the ‘save as’ button.
– Save the card wherever you choose and then open it up.
– Once you have opened your recipe card you print it using your chosen printer.
– All you have to do now is go shopping!
Alternatively, download the PDF version of October’s Supper Club recipe card by clicking here.
Are you a budding blogger? Or do you know anyone who is? Each month we get some bloggers to try out our recipes, and we’re always on the lookout for more people to give us their feedback. If you are interested in taking part, or would like some more information please drop us a quick email, our address is email@example.com.