Every winter when the snow has set on the ground, a new ICEHOTEL is created on the shore of the Torne river in Jukkasjärvi, Swedish Lapland using frozen ice harvested from the neighbouring waterway. It is a mammoth engineering feat that has been perfected over the past 28 years, and one that must be seen, and experienced, to be believed.
The ICEHOTEL is much more than a hotel – it is an ever-evolving art installation and an art gallery showcasing the ideas and creations of artists from around the world. This year, 28 artists from 11 countries together with the lightning team, ice production, building team and art support will create the latest rendition of ICEHOTEL that will open December 15.
We are pleased to share with you the first sketches released for the 28th ICEHOTEL:
- Ground Rules by Ulrika Tallving & Carl Wellander – A beautiful snail world
- Cumulus by AnnaKatrin Kraus & Hans Aescht – The impossible experience of being inside a cloud
- Hang in there by Marjolein Vonk & Maurizio Perron – Fall asleep in a hanging installation with total silence
- Monstera by Johan & Nina Kauppi – Welcome to the frozen art suite with giant leaves embracing the bed
- Radiance by Natsuki & Shingo Saito – A suite inspired by the radiance of ice prisms
- Wandering Cloud by Lisa Lindqvist – A dreamlike vision to step in to and flow away in
Let us know which is your favourite!